POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Avatar : Re: Avatar Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:23:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Avatar
From: Warp
Date: 14 Jan 2010 14:49:40
Message: <4b4f7553@news.povray.org>
*** Spoiler warning. ***

> Pretty but cliche.

> The next paragraph might have tiny bits of spoiler in it...

> I can pretty much guarantee to nut-jobs complaining about the main character
>   wanting his legs back didn't actually watch the movie.  For example, he
> takes the job several years before he gets offered to have his legs fixed,
> and he aggressively resists help from those around him. Indeed, I didn't
> really see anything in the movie that made the state of his legs the least
> bit important - they could have had him with working legs and there wouldn't
> have been a bit of change to the movie.

  I haven't seen any trailer of the movie (never watch those), but I could
imagine that a certain type of trailer which cherry-picks certain events
of the movie *could* give a rather false impression of the overal story.

  Just pick certain scenes in the movie of the type "hey marine, if you go
to their village, spy on them and bring back intel which will help us defeat
them, you will get your legs back", and then choose some scenes where he is
giving the intel, one could get the impression that he is doing it just for
the legs.

  Btw, did you watch it in 3D? It was the first 3D movie (of the modern type)
I watched, and it worked surprisingly well. Better than I expected.

--
                                                          - Warp